# How to contribute
Issues, whether bugs, tasks, or feature requests are essential for keeping rok8s-scripts (and Fairwinds in general) great. We believe it should be as easy as possible to contribute changes that get things working in your environment. There are a few guidelines that we need contributors to follow so that we can have a chance of keeping on top of things.
# Getting Started
- Submit an issue, assuming one does not already exist.
- Clearly describe the issue including steps to reproduce when it is a bug.
- Apply the appropriate labels, whether it is bug, feature, or task.
# Making Changes
- Create a feature branch from where you want to base your work.
- This is usually the master branch.
- To quickly create a topic branch based on master;
git checkout -b feature master. Please avoid working directly on the
- Try to make commits of logical units.
- Make sure you have added the necessary tests for your changes if applicable.
- Make sure you have added any required documentation changes.
This repo contains a pre-commit file for use with pre-commit (opens new window). Just run
pre-commit install and you will have the hooks.
# Making Trivial Changes
For changes of a trivial nature to comments and documentation, it is not always necessary to create a new issue in GitHub. In these cases, a branch with pull request is sufficient.
# Submitting Changes
- Push your changes to a topic branch.
- Submit a pull request.
- Mention the issue in your PR description. I.E.
Fixes #42. This will ensure that your issue gets tagged with the PR.
# Orb development
There is a Makefile that can assist in validating and testing the orb locally. See the commands there for more info.
- Make sure you update all the references to the version of rok8s in the repo.
- Tag the commit you wish to release with the new tag
- Push the tag
- Once the release is done, find an org administrator to release the Orb
Portions of this text are copied from the Puppet Contributing (opens new window) documentation.